Welcome to my blog!!!

I have collected baseball cards and autographs over the years. I still have boxes full of cards (as well as newer cards) that are just sitting there. So, I have decided to see how many of them I can get autographed. I use through the mail as my preferred route for this adventure. I also have an account on Zistle and The Trading Card Database for trading purposes (stevienicks77).



Sunday, July 15, 2012

2012 All Star Game...Our Time

I was lucky enough to score tickets to All Star Sunday (Futures Game and Celebrity Softball Game), Monday's Home Run Derby, and Tuesday's All Star Game.  I also got to go to the Fan Fest in downtown KC on Saturday and Monday morning.

On Saturday, at Fan Fest...lots of photo opportunities, which I love.  I thought that MLB was doing us a favor by giving us a card that would let us go to the computer to have all of our photo opportunities/experiences all in one place...WRONG!  You have to buy the photos...$17.99 each.  Debbie Downer.  The Game Saving Catch photo that I am in is awesome!  Lots of free stuff...popcorn, foam fingers (mini), towels, make your own baseball card, water bottles, etc.  The Tiffany's exhibit was awesome.  It was all the awards that were going to be given away in 2012; from AL & NL MVPs to the World Series trophy.  The Hall of Fame exhibit was also neat.  Can't wait to see Ron Santo get inducted!!  Topps had a booth there.  If you brought in 3 wrappers, you could get 1 of 6 Limited Edition All Star cards.  I picked Eric Hosmer, because, in my mind, he's the man!  I was mainly there on Saturday to catch a glimpse of Andre Dawson and get Wil Myers' auto.  We were in line for Frank White's auto, but someone was throwing a fit and wanted to leave and refused to wait in line.  I can't believe going to Fan Fest with a 43 year old would be worse than going with a child, but it was.






 

Ron Santo's HOF exhibit

















Eric Hosmer Topps All Star Game card










Sunday was All Star Sunday at the K.  Best part of the day, Royals prospect Wil Myers having an awesome Futures Game, and Cubs prospect Jae-Hoon Ha hitting a home run!  The celebrity softball game was also fun.  University of Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self got the "boo-birds" from the Mizzou fans in the crowd, and he showed them by hitting a home run!  Kansas City Chiefs QB Matt Cassell, also, was the recipient of the "boo-birds."  American Idol and Blue Springs, MO native David Cook played a mean left field. 








Royals prospect Wil Myers batting.





Cubs prospect Jae-Hoon Ha getting congratulated after his home run.





KU men's basketball coach Bill Self hitting a home run in the Celebrity softball game after getting "booed."






Monday, I went back to fan fest, mainly to wait in line for Tony Gwynn's auto.  While waiting in line, I got to see Bud Selig.  I noticed that many auto seekers were pushing kids out of the way and really taking advantage of them.  This made me sad.  Although I was waiting in line for Tony Gwynn, I was not about to shove a kid out of the way to up my place in line.  Many of the adult auto seekers had 10+ balls, etc. autographed.  I didn't get one auto either day at fan fest.  I was obviously doing something wrong (see Saturday fan fest paragraph).  I hit up the Topps booth, again, and score some free cards (Series 2).  I also took a look at the booths selling cards, and picked up 100 Royals cards for $5.  Here's what some of what I got for five bucks:






 The closest I got to anyone famous at Fan Fest, Bud Selig.













Free Topps Series 2 cards from Topps booth.  The Rod Barajas card is an error (wrong card #).












Monday night at the K was our first tailgate of All Star Week.  Hamburgers, watermelon, spring salad, chips, and Bud Light at my tailgate party of 2.  I was really pulling for Mark Trumbo to win.  He made a good showing and ended up in the second round.  I was not expecting the "boo-birds" that Robinson Cano got.  Although, I thought it was funny that he went 0-10!






 Mark Trumbo participating at the Home Run Derby.







Tuesday was the big day.  Tailgating day #2.  Same menu.  It was almost a tailgating fail, as we could not get the chimney starter to light.  Best parts of the game:  George Brett throwing out the first pitch, nice ovation for Chipper Jones, and Bryan LaHair from the Cubs getting to play.  Not so great parts of the game:  Bryce Harper showing his inexperience by committing a base running error and dropping a ball in the OF.  I also really wanted a LaHair All Star game jersey, but they didn't make any!  They must have made just one and gave it to him.  I couldn't find one at the Royals store, or at the Majestic store at Fan Fest.





Bryan LaHair of the Cubs in the on deck circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment