Welcome to my blog!!!

I have collected baseball cards and autographs over the years. I still have boxes full of cards (as well as newer cards) that are just sitting there. So, I have decided to see how many of them I can get autographed. I use through the mail as my preferred route for this adventure. I also have an account on Zistle and The Trading Card Database for trading purposes (stevienicks77).



Thursday, March 7, 2013

I knew it was a sign...

At work, when we get 5 "thank you notes" for doing good things, or going above and beyond, we can turn them in for a $20 gift certificate to a variety of places (movies, out to eat, etc.).  I always choose Target; it seems like there is always something I need there.  Anyway, I have been holding on to one for a day like yesterday.  I thought Wednesday was the release day for 2013 Heritage.  Well, I don't pay attention very well to release dates because all these posts started popping up about 2013 Heritage reviews.  So, I got in the car, drove to Target, with the intention to spend the $20 gift certificate on a hanger pack.  I was disappointed to find out that Target had NO Heritage cards in stock.  It doesn't even looked like they were stocked (no big empty section where they might have been bought up quickly).  I was highly disappointed, but took it as a sign not to buy any Heritage.  After reading the reviews, I wasn't impressed with the photos on the cards anyway; too many UGLY head shots! 

Today, I had to run errands because I have to work all weekend.  My errands include going to Walmart for a few things.  I always check out what Walmart has, and I found some Heritage, and I said, why not.  The bad thing about this purchase, I had to pay for it with cash, not with good deeds.

I bought a hanger pack and a rack pack.  This is what I got:

First card:

Crap!  Not only is a big head shot, he's not even wearing a hat!

More ugly head shots:


B.J. Upton NEEDS a hat with hair like that!  Everyone in Kansas City knows that Cano has a big head...HA HA!!  Tyler Colvin is a player I like, and I'm disappointed that this card is gross.

Here are some of my favorite cards:


Apparently, the A's are photogenic and know how to pose for pictures!

I had read a review that the rookies were not as plentiful as years past;  I ended up with a total of 8 cards.  Here's some of the rookies I got:


The Orioles and Rangers have some exciting rookies!  I was disappointed that the Cubs only had 1 rookie.  I don't know how considering I felt like I knew no one who was on the team last year.  The Cubs really didn't have two rookies worth having their own rookie card?

I will give Topps a pat on the back for better looking league leader cards this year.  As you can see with the R.A. Dickey example, not only did they not use the creepy cut out heads, but they used two different pictures, where in years past, they used the same creepy head cut out on every league leaders card.  This is also true for Ryan Braun.  The creepy cut out heads were not as bad on the original 1962 Heritage set, but modern players are scary.


This insert set isn't bad:


Refractor 209/564:

My best card:


YES!  Finally, something to make me not regret this purchase!

Finally, perhaps the creepiest card:






It looks like lasers are going to come out of his eyes!

I have another $20 gift certificate from work coming for Target, so I will be saving them for Gypsy Queen and Series 2.  Again, I think it was a sign yesterday at Target that I should not buy 2013 Heritage, and I should have listened!  Bring on Gypsy Queen quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment